At Westfield our pupils' emotional well-being is at the heart of everything we do. Having a school filled with safe, healthy, happy children, who are achieving to their potential is our absolute priority. We have a team of people dedicated to supporting pupils and families with their social, emotional and mental health needs.
Our Children’s Champions are a team of experienced professionals dedicated to the safeguarding and well-being of our pupils and families. They are out in the playground every morning and are available to offer support to our children and families where needed. All of our Children’s Champions support pupils within the classroom setting and on a 1-1 mentoring and small group basis to help remove barriers to learning.
In addition, when Teaching Teams need additional support, Children’s Champions are on hand for positive intervention and support as well as supporting other school staff in strategies to positively manage behaviour.
Our Champions also lead or provide short term cover to our classes in the absence of the class teacher, which provides security and certainty for our children.
Their key responsibilities are:
- Accurate identification of pupils causing concern
- Careful assessment of key pupils’ SEMH needs
- Setting targets and planning intervention
- 1-1 mentoring and in class support for key children
- Small group Emotional Literacy intervention e.g. Friendships, Anger Management
- Monitoring and analysis of behaviour incidents
- Delivering and / or facilitating training for the wider school staff
- Break / lunchtime support – running small group provision / supporting in playground / leading playground squad